Watonga church of Christ
                     "where everyone is wanted, needed and loved"

The Church of Christ was established in Watonga in the spring of 1950.  Meetings were held on Sunday afternoon in the banquet room of the Watonga City Hall.  The Northside Church of Christ from Oklahoma City conducted these services initially.  Area Churches of Christ also attended and assisted.

          In the summer of 1950 a six-week tent meeting was held nightly with several evangelists preaching, some black and some white.  The tent was behind the service station at the corner of Noble and Highway 33.

          A lot was purchased in the 900 block of North Wikoff and a one-room country schoolhouse was moved to the site for the congregation to meet in.

          In 1954 Watonga schools for the new grade school purchased the block on which the building was located.  The church then purchased lots across the street and constructed a new building.  The previous building was moved to East Main for the black brethren to meet in.

 In 1964 there were three congregations of the Churches of Christ in Watonga; the black church on East Main, a white church on West Main and a white church on North Wikoff.  Sometime after 1964 the black congregation began meeting with the white brethren on West Main.

          The West Main church purchased a frame building from the Lutheran Church.  It was moved to 912 North Leach.  The church constructed a new auditorium in 1980-1981.  In 1982 the North Wikoff and the North Leach church united and continue to meet at 912 North Leach.  There was a congregation of the Church of Christ in Watonga in the early 1930s but little is known about it.    (by Nettie Plummer)

Schedule of Services
Upcoming Events
history of the building
About Us


“We may be small, but we are mighty”

                            ------- Flora Jean Flynn